1. Program Description
The main characteristic of the DBA Program is the acquisition of deep knowledge and the use of the principles in scientific work, especially scientific research methodology, to solve a complex problem of a company or economic practice.
The program is designed for managers with a minimum experience of 5 years (in exceptional cases of 3 years), of which at least a partial experience has been in a managerial position, and professionals who need to use the principles of applied management research to solve practical problems. The program is carried out in English and is completed by obtaining the title “DBA” and a diploma from the Prague University of Economics and Business. Prerequisite for entry into the program is also a Master’s degree or an MBA degree.
Teaching takes place online or in a hybrid form, through modules, in the range of min. 112 pedagogical hours of direct teaching. Another minimum of 78 hours consists of individual consultations with the supervisor or other designated mentors. Self-study and independent creative work take place in the range of about 1000 hours. The DBA program is concluded by fulfilling all study obligations and upon a successful defense of a written DBA dissertation in front of a committee.
2. Study Plan
The STUDY PLAN of the DBA program consists of three areas, which are Study obligations, Requirements for research and creative activities and Other obligations.
1. Study obligations include successful completion of:
- Department and Faculty Colloquia
- Small thesis defense
- Defense of the DBA final thesis
For more information, have a look HERE
2. Requirements for Research and Creative Activities
As part of their studies, students are required to conduct research activities in the field of applied research related to the focus of the DBA dissertation, which is also presented to the professional public. The DBA student must obtain 50 points for research and publishing activities.
For detailed information, have a look HERE
3. Other Obligations
(obtaining points for other professional activities and outputs)
The student is obliged to obtain 20 points which are obtained through the study of other subjects, seminars and professional workshops. Specifically, these are the following performance points:
- Completion of another doctoral course for DBA at FBA: 10 points
- Completion of other methodological or similar seminar: 2 points/day
- Participation in an FBA Research club meeting: 1 point
- Participation in a Faculty Colloquium: 1 point
3. How to Apply / Admissions
PRE-CONDITIONS for admission into the program:
- Master’s degree or an MBA degree
- 5 years of managerial experience (in exceptional cases, 3 years)
You may apply anytime throughout the year. The following deadlines apply:
- To start your studies in Winter Semester (mid-September): Submit your application by the 30th of June
- To start your studies in Summer Semester (mid-February): Submit your application by the 30th of November
The admission process consists of 3 steps:
- The applicant submits the online Application Form, incl. Managerial topic/business problem in the range of 1 – 2 pages in English and other documents (CV, Diploma and Transcript confirming the Master’s or MBA degree)
- He/she is given a feedback which he/she incorporates and creates a Research proposal (see HERE for a template)
- This is followed by an interview (may be held online) on the submitted proposal and motivation of the applicant
The contact person is Ing. Marie Lopez Gutierrez (email@example.com). The admission committee decides on the final admission of the applicant.
4. Mentoring & Other DBA Student Support
Since the commencement of the studies, every student has an experienced supervisor who accompanies and supports him / her in the field of managerial research methodology. The recommended frequency of contact is about one hour every two weeks throughout the study.
During their studies, students have access to all academic resources of the University of Economics, library services, IT support. Students become part of the entire academic community of the Prague University of Economics and Business.
5. Tuition Fees & Language of the DBA Program
The price of the program is 5,000 EUR for each academic year. The expected duration of study is 3 years.
The DBA program is carried out in English, so a proficient knowledge of English is assumed – this will be verified during an oral interview.
(Based on an application addressed to the director of the DBA program, Czech students can write their final thesis in Czech.)
6. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For more information regarding various topics, including visa information, please see the FAQ section.