Big defense (PEME and EKE)
Doctoral students in the combined form of study must complete a big defense of the dissertation before the end of the fifth year, full-time doctoral students before the end of the third year (or after transfer to the combined form again by the end of the fifth year).
The dissertation usually ranges from 120 to 150 standard pages (excluding appendices) and is duplex printed. Recommended margins 2.5 cm. 1.15 spacing is recommended using a 12 pt with proportional serif font. The font of the headings of paragraphs and chapters is to be reasonably larger.
A set of at least 3 related scientific articles on a given topic already published or accepted into print in peer-reviewed journals registered in the Social Science Citation Index or SCOPUS can be recognized as a dissertation, providing the student provides it with a comprehensive introduction and unifying commentary. The student must be the only author of at least one of these articles. The sum of authorship shares must be at least 3. (The student’s supervisor does not count towards the author’s shares; for example, it would still be a single author article if the student publishes the article together with his / her supervisor.) If some articles have not yet been published, but have already been accepted for printing, the doctoral candidate must provide a proof of acceptance for such articles before submitting the dissertation for defense.
Before the planned date of the big defense, the doctoral student must have fulfilled all other obligations of doctoral studies. Before the scheduled date of the defense, the following documents must be submitted to the Student Affairs Department at least 8 weeks in advance:
- 3 copies of the dissertation in hard cover, duplex print. Plus, you need to send it also in electronic form to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- 10 copies of author’s summary of your dissertation in printed form (just ring binding) with an additional copy in electronic form to be sent to email@example.com. Author’s summary is a significantly shortened version of the dissertation – it has less than 30 standard pages and should contain the most important (goal, main theoretical background, clearly described methodology, concrete results of the dissertation, the main model tested in quantitative types, characteristics of the original solution and its benefits and bibliography used in the summary ). The student should consult with the supervisor, as the report is sent in advance to the dissertation defense committee. It takes a few weeks to elaborate the summary and it is good to be prepared for it in advance.
- structured CV (signed by student),
- a protocol of results from anti-plagiarism software signed by the supervisor (provided by the supervisor),
- a letter of request to the Dean in which the student asks for enabling of the defense of the dissertation,
- a brief report by the supervisor on the course of the whole study (signed by the supervisor) (non-binding template here),
- a list of published articles (signed by the supervisor and the student) – export from the PCVSE database; to be added to the supervisor short report template.
- confirmation of the insertion of the work and the attachment into InSIS
Information about upcoming Big Defense:
24.05.2022 at 13:00, Manuel Mayerhoffer, MSc
16.9.2021 at 13:30, RB359 – Florian Maximilian Diener, M.A.
16.9.2021 at 14:30, RB359 – Ing. et Ing. Klára Kubíčková